Sunday, March 1, 2015

Pork Chili Impro-verde


Usually I can pinpoint the exact moment and location I tried a new cuisine, but my first taste of pork chili verde eludes me. Was it stuffed inside an enchilada at an Iowan Mexican restaurant with its ubiquitous ladlefuls of refried beans and red rice? Was it during a post-drinking session at Taco Cabana in Texas? Or did I just see in on Food Network? I do remember my own past concoctions made with fresh tomatillos, cilantro, and serrano peppers.

After a friend posted a picture of his chili verde creation simmering away on the stove, I immediately had an intense craving that wouldn’t go away. I had to have that spicy, sour, succulent melt in your mouth pork and sauce wrapped up in a sweet soft corn tortilla.

The foreign food stores in Dublin have either a majority of central Asian or east Asian ingredients but both have a couple of shelves of salsas, corn tortillas, and tins of refried beans and pickled chillies. When I went to buy the ingredients, I noticed that this particular store didn’t have the enormous tin of tomatillos that are usually on offer (for an insane 6 euros!). Instead of going on a mission for the key ingredient, I decided to improvise with what was already in my kitchen.

Green apples. Right color. Acidic and slightly sour. Close enough. And so a new recipe was born.
 
Text Box: 400 grams of pork leg (or shoulder, or butt, or whatever)
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped, skin left on.
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
2-3 pickled serrano with some of the juice
Juice of half a lime
Handful of coriander (cilantro) leaves
Salt and pepper
Blitz all ingredients (except pork) in a processor or blender until it has a salsa like consistency.
Put pork in a Dutch oven or some sort of oven proof thing with a lid. I’m too lazy to brown the meat first, but it might make it better. Pour the salsa on top and put in a 150 degree C oven for 2-2 ½ hours. Take out and pull apart the pork with two forks and mix in with the salsa.

Serve with favourite ingredients like guacamole, sour cream, greens, etc.

in the food processor

2 hours + later
 

served on corn tortillas "grilled" on stove burner
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment